New York Lawyer Is a Trusted Guide to Doing Business in Nigeria
Wall Street law firm has deep experience in Nigerian market entry
At Maduegbuna Cooper LLP, a Wall Street-based business advisory and litigation firm, we have for over 25 years worked on behalf of companies and individuals seeking to enter the high-rewards market that is Nigeria, a country that holds a large chunk of Africa’s wealth. There are substantial growth prospects in such Nigerian industries as consumer goods and the retail industry (including online shopping), real estate, information and communications technology, food and agriculture, and infrastructure development (especially power and transportation).
Founding partner Sam Maduegbuna, licensed to practice in Nigeria and in New York, is a highly sought-after adviser with strong ties and connections to Nigeria. Sam has a comprehensive understanding of the legal and business aspects involved in entering and taking a new business to Nigeria and investing in Nigeria, including production, financing, distribution, brand registration and protection, licensing, franchising, retail store leasing and exit vehicles. Since the start of his legal career, Sam has worked with an esteemed list of clients on a broad array of endeavors, ranging from telecommunications to banking, media and real estate, involving Nigeria.
Helping Businesses explore rich prospects for growing revenue
For companies and individuals interested in expanding their business interests and operations to Nigeria, our attorneys routinely conduct market research in various industries and provide sound advice on market entry options and regulatory requirements. We provide support and assistance in the following areas:
- General business and legal advisory services — We advise local and foreign investors on legal and regulatory requirements related to establishing and running a business in Nigeria. We render professional services in company formations, mergers and acquisitions, reconstructions, negotiations, drafting of commercial contracts and various aspects of company activities.
- Business incorporation services — We counsel foreign investors proposing to establish companies in Nigeria and we carry out the legal work, such as incorporation, registration and procurement of required authorizations. We also advise on Nigerian tax laws, particularly tax incentives and benefits available to prospective foreign investors.
- Tax and intellectual property advisory services — We explore the most tax-efficient investment structures for operating in Nigeria and on protection of intellectual property. Working with strategic partners, we act as clients’ agents for their trademarks and patents and are involved in registration, protection, use and enforcement.
- Regulatory compliance services — We regularly handle regulatory compliance matters relating to business establishment in Nigeria, assisting with procuring operational and regulatory permits relevant to businesses and transactions.
- Business regulatory liaison services — We act as liaison between clients and Nigerian regulatory agencies, such as the Department of Petroleum Resources, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, the National Office for Technology Acquisition and Promotion and the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission.
- Emerging growth companies — We assist international entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and emerging growth companies with Nigerian corporate formations, financing, due diligence issues, public offerings, intellectual property registrations, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Start-up advisory services — Whether you are a venture capitalist, an angel investor, an entrepreneur or a start-up business owner, our lawyers offer strategic counsel on investments, capital and growth opportunities in Nigeria. Our priority is structuring innovative, tax-advantaged solutions tailored to our clients’ needs.
- Venture capital services — We offer clients in an array of industries a practical understanding of the legal aspects of seeking investments in Nigeria’s robust venture capital market. We represent venture capital funds in their formation, governance, financing and investments.
- Financial technology — Financial technology (Fintech) has been at the forefront of venture capital in Nigeria. We advise banks, financial institutions, venture capital funds and other investors on all aspects of the Nigerian Fintech sector, including mobile money, Bitcoin, digital payments, money transfers, loans and fundraising.
- Agricultural technology services — Nigeria is a leader in agritech start-ups in Africa. We counsel our Nigerian and international entrepreneurs and investors focused on reaching this previously untapped market for using technology to improve agricultural efficiency. We advise on all phases of development and realization of agritech projects.
- Private equity — We advise international companies seeking equity investment opportunities in Nigerian economic sectors, helping them devise innovative solutions and strategies for structuring acquisitions, fund formations and financings of public and private companies.
Guided by experienced counsel, established multinationals can master operating in Nigeria’s regulatory and business environment and can make substantial profits in the country’s lucrative markets.
Partnership with World Class Strategic Local Law Partners
We strategically partner with top transactional Nigeria-based law firms for optimal service to clients. We directly supervise the engagements and, depending on the area, take the lead on the matter.
Contact an experienced and trusted consultant on doing business in Nigeria
If you are interested in entering the Nigerian market and need an authoritative and trusted guide, consult our New York attorneys for dedicated personal attention and the highest quality service. Call Maduegbuna Cooper LLP at 212-232-0155 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.